How to make a beautiful papel picado butterfly garlands: Video tutorial and template!
Last year we put together a template and video tutorial you how to make calavera papel picado. This year we thought these butterfly garlands would make a great addition to our Day of the dead decoration ideas page.
These butterflies flutter beautifully in the wind and would look great at a fiesta, wedding or as a decoration in your home! Watch our simple step-by-step craft video tutorial below.
Butterfly Papel Picado video tutorial + template – watch here!
To make papel picado butterflies you will need:
• Crepe paper in at least 3 colors
• Masking tape (colored if available)
• Happythought Butterfly Papel Picado templates
INSTRUCTIONS | How to make Butterfly Papel Picado:
1. First, cut your crepe paper down into sheets of approx. 20 x 28cm size sheets.
2. Next, fold your printed template down the middle (along the dotted line) with the instructions on the outside. Using 4 sheets at a time, fold the crepe paper in half and assemble a ‘book’ with the template sheet as the cover.
3. Secure the top of your book with a little masking tape so that the crepe paper doesn’t slip when you are cutting out the shapes.
4. You’re now ready to start cutting out your butterfly papel picado! We prefer using scissors to do this as they’re easier to handle, especially if you have any little helpers.
5. Like making paper snowflakes, carefully cut out all the shapes on the interior of the template, folding again when necessary (as shown) to access the ‘interior’ shapes, and then follow the template guide to cut around the edges.
6. When you’ve finished cutting, remove the masking tape from the top, flatten out your book and remove the template cover. Be careful when separating the sheets of crepe paper as they can be quite fragile.
7. Repeat this process with another 4 sheets of crepe paper. Once you have made 3 or four sets of papeles, you are ready to create your garland!
8. Unroll a length of masking tape and lay it out on a flat surface with the sticky side facing up. Carefully place the butterflies on the tape in alternate colours. The top tabs of the butterflies should only cover half of the width of the masking tape.
9. Next, fold the tape over to create your garland as shown. To keep things simple, we recommend sticking no more than 3 or 4 at a time. To make a really long garland you can easily stick two lengths together with a little more masking tape.
Buy 12 papel picado templates for Day of the Dead!
Other ideas with papel picado