Making these beautiful Mexican paper flowers is easy, just follow our step-by-step video and photo tutorials.
These simple DIY Mexican paper flowers can be used to decorate your party – arranged in vases, placed on your Ofrenda for Dia de los Muertos, or you could attach one to a bobby pin as a decorative hair piece!
How to make paper flowers: Easy to follow video tutorial and photo instructions!
Cempasuchil or marigolds are an important symbol of Day of the Dead. The bright colors of these beautiful DIY Mexican paper flowers and the powerful scent are supposed to help lead the spirits of your deceased loved ones to your home.
More decoration ideas to celebrate Day of the Dead:
You will need:
Scissors or craft knife
pipe cleaner or floral wire
Use our easy & quick video tutorial – HOW TO MAKE CREPE PAPER FLOWERS FOR DAY OF THE DEAD – to get you making in no time these stunning paper flowers. Plus some step by step photo tips.
Mexican paper flowers: Instructions with photos
1. To make paper flowers, cut your sheets of crepe paper down to approx. letter size. Stack 8 sheets of crepe paper together.
3. Wrap pipe cleaner around middle and twist, leaving a long length for your ‘stalk’.
4. Cut tips into round or pointy endings.
5. Separate the layers of paper, carefully pulling each sheet away* from the centre, one at a time, spreading them out to make a circle. Repeat with each layer until your flower is fluffy and full. *Don’t worry too much if you have a few tears – once your flower is fully fluffed these shouldn’t be noticable!
Voila! Your flowers are ready. To make a full round pompom join two flowers together using a pipe cleaner.
Adding a leaf or two to your paper flower
1. Take a small strip of green crepe.
2. Fold it in half.
3. Cut out the shape of a leaf.
4. Open out to make two leaves.
5. Fold the two leaves in half
6. Twist the stem of your flower around the leaves.