Dia de los Muertos mask craft – November 1st and 2nd
This year we wanted to add a new mask craft idea to our Day of the Dead party kit so we decided to put together some 3D calavera or careta masks, which can be used as a costume or as part of your decorations.
In Mexico, Calavera means skull, also a slang term for daredevil, and calaveritas de azucar are decorative candied sugar skulls made for the DÌa de los Muertos.
Watch this short video tutorial and see how easy the masks are to make – Day of the Dead Calavera video – Step by step video tutorial & free templates to download!
Like our Lucha Libre masks, these careta masks are really easy to make, so we’re going to make up a whole batch this year and give them out to all our guests.
The Day of the Dead is a celebration of those who have passed. It’s not a sad or morbid gathering – more a festive, family-centred celebration of friends and relatives no longer with us. We also have calavera or careta masks to colour in here – https://happythought.co.uk/craft/day-of-the-dead-party-ideas-calavera-masks
Step by step photo tutorial & free Day of the Dead Calavera mask template to download
Wear a sugar skull mask or calavera for any Day of the Dead fiesta or Halloween street party. With six different designs to choose from, you and your friends will look the part.
These calavera or careta masks are part of our Day of the Dead Printable kit which you can find here – happythought.co.uk/product/dia-de-los-muertos-printables
HOW TO MAKE A CALAVERA MASK FOR DAY OF THE DEAD (PHOTO TUTORIAL)
1. Print out the template (Download below). You will also need scissors, a glue stick, masking tape and some string or ribbon
2. Cut out your template. If you like you can add some glitter and sparkles to your mask.
3. Stick the two side panels with masking tape on the back of the mask as shown.
4. Glue the middle panels together with a glue stick. Secure on the back with masking tape.
5. Attach a length of string or ribbon on either side of your mask, or a stick to use as a photo prop.
6. Hooray! Your mask is ready.
Dia de los Muuertos party printables pack has six more colorful printable careta masks to download. plus a calavera mask to color in. Coloring and decorating your own masks makes a great party activity. For more mask coloring in fanatics see and wrestling maniacs we have Happythought’s 12 Lucha Libre masks to colour in!
Create your own Calavera/Careta mask!
You might like these fun lucha libre masks too?